Many notable civic leaders, historical figures, politicians, civil servants and Catholic religious figures of cherished bygone eras now rest in Holy Cross. A walk through the cemetery produces images of families from many different nations who settled in San Francisco and its peninsula. People come to this inspiring place to pay their respect to the deceased and to meditate in the beautiful, quiet surroundings.
The first interment, that of Timothy Buckley, was on June 7th, 1887. Since then, many legendary Californians of different eras have proudly selected Holy Cross as their final resting place. These well known people include:
- San Francisco Mayor and state Senator during the period of the famous earthquake James Phelan
- California Governor Edmund “Pat” Brown
- Founder of the San Francisco Chronicle, Michael Henry de Young
- Baseball legend Joe DiMaggio
- The assassinated (1978) San Francisco Mayor George Moscone
- Bank of America Founder A.P. Giannini
- Famed sculptor Benny Bufano and many others.
An informative walking tour brochure revealing these and other graves sites is available at the reception desk in the main office.
Holy Cross is privileged to enjoy a rich history, valued traditions and lovely natural surroundings in the serene valley of Colma. Its rolling hills studded with stately, century old trees, welcome families with its inherent beauty and peaceful appeal. Due to the vision of our predecessors over a century ago, our future and yours, is sheltered from time and turmoil. Here, embraced by the surrounding mountains, our venerable history means security, enduring Catholic tradition, and a lovely, tranquil resting place for you and your family to share for